10 Songs for Your Travel Playlist
This was meant to be an all together different post. I turned on the ‘Mix Radio’ app on my Nokia Lumia just before I began writing. I had just gathered my thoughts when “Take Me Home, Country Roads” began. And in a jiffy I was in West Virginia. Needless to say, I lost my train of thoughts in the mental journey. So I thought of putting together a list of travel songs, songs that inspire travel, and songs that are my best companions on a road trip. Here goes:
1. Sweet Home Alabama: Never been anywhere even close to Alabama, but this feel-good song by Lynyrd Skynyrd is a mood lifter.
2. Patakha Guddi: A beautiful song written by Irshad Kamil, this songs celebrates freedom and non-conformity. It pushes you to just break away. The visuals, of course, inspire travel. Add to it the magic of AR Rahman’s music. Classic! Enjoyable addition to your travel playlist.
3. Yun Hi Chala Chal: From the movie Swades, this is a lovely travel song. Kailash Kher, Udit Narayan, and Hariharan lend their charming voices to the enjoyable lyrics, while magical AR Rahman makes it truly one for the road!
4. Maine Dekhe Hai Sabhi Rang: I remember watching Raageshwari singing and dancing to the tunes in the era of Indi-pop mixes. Love the song for its lyrics about taking lessons from journey of life.
5. Leaving on a Jet Plane: “All my bags are packed, I am ready to go…” the lines from this John Denver’s song is a popular FB status message by someone or the other going on a holiday.
6. What a Wonderful World: “I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you, And I think to myself what a wonderful world.” My thoughts when I see beauty of nature on a trip. By Louis Armstrong. For jazz lovers.
7. Pocketful of Sunshine: By Natasha Bedingfield. I like it for its perky music. Hear it when you’re itching to get away from all things familiar. It might just push you to do so!
8. Lonesome Road: You’d like this only if you are a Frank Sinatra fan. “Look down, look down that lonesome road, before you travel on…”
9. I Want to Break Free: Okay, this isn’t a travel song. But the emotions are same when the travel bug bites hard. From the album ‘The Works’ by Queen. [Btw, did you know Freddie Mercury was Gujarati?]
10. Mera Joota Hai Japani: Old is gold. The ultimate “traveller’s” (not tourist’s) songs. “Nikal Pade Hai…Manzil Kahan, Kahan Rukna Hai,Uparwala Jaane”
Which is your favourite travel song? Share with us in comments below.