Guest post: By Nutritionist Karishma Chawla of EatRite 24×7
Travelling and overeating are synonymous, especially if you’re a foodie! A little indulgence on a vacation is a given but if you are a frequent traveller, you cannot ignore your health.
By taking charge and planning healthy for your travel, you can enjoy the travel with returning back as fit as possible. Little caution is all that you need! Here are a few tips:
1. Stick close with your daily routine as much as possible and prepare yourself for the travel in advance.
2. Taking out time for exercise might be difficult, so try to swim or play a sport.
3. Try to stick to the 5-6 meal food pattern of the day
4. Start your breakfast with a complex cereal like wheatflakes or museli with low fat milk and lean protein like egg whites/ whey protein
5. Remember to carry your daily supplements like whey powders, healthy nuts as fillers like walnuts and almonds
6. Choose whole grains like whole wheat, quinoa, barley over refined flour (maida) or white rice
7. Choose steamed, grilled tandoor options over fried
8. Consume lean protein like chicken, fish, turkey over red meats
9. Consume veggies and salads in every meal
10. Consume salads without any dressings and avoid heavy sauces
11. Incorporate a fruit as a filler in the first half of the day and nuts and salads in the second half
12. Desert, stick to 3 bite rule
We know the tips are hard to follow when you’re in holiday mood. A little prudence, however, can travel a long way to keep you healthy and fit! Stay fit, keep travelling!